Trying to flash - Turnigy 9x won't power up with programmer

jparchib

Trying to flash - Turnigy 9x won't power up with programmer

Post by jparchib »

Hi, I got an eBay USBASP to flash my Turnigy 9X... This one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/310506909410?ssP ... 1439.l2648

I soldered the 6 wire to the right pad, and checked the connection with a multimeter between the atmega chip to the programmer, and everything seems to be OK.

I installed the driver, than connected the radio to the programmer and then to the computer. From wat I undrstand, the rado should power on. But mine still stays off. I tried to reconnect the back half of the radio, it still stays off.

Is it normal? I checkd th VCC pin of the programmer. it provide 5v as execpcted. Can I still flash it even if the screen does not light up? Or is it an indication of a problem?

Thank you very much!

Kilrah

Re: Trying to flash - Turnigy 9x won't power up with program

Post by Kilrah »

Looks like the programmer will only power the radio if the J2 jumper is fitted. So either fit it and leave the radio off, or remove it and power the radio up with its battery.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I power my radios with their own battery to flash them. turned the power off on the programmer.
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

My programmer supplies power to the radio(s) but only one of them powers up the display, two of them have a blank display while connected to the programmer. (It is normal, that the display goes blank while the avrdude is programming the radio)
But programming works without problems.

As a Test, try to read (ONLY READ) the eeprom (and NEVER try to use the -F option with avrdude).

I also programmed the radio, unintentionally, with radio powered on and it also worked.

Reinhard
jparchib

Post by jparchib »

I tried to fit the J2 jumper, but the programmer is not reconized by the computer with it. So it is safe to power the radio with the battery during programming?

jparchib

Post by jparchib »

When j2 is fitted, te programmer is unrecognized by the computer.

Just tried to read the old firmware with companion9x, and it worked, even if my screen is off. Does it means that I can flash without worry?
Bill

Post by Bill »

Probably.
“A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest banker”
They used to say "if you don’t want to work at McDonald’s, go to college." Now they say "if you want to work at McDonald’s, go to college.”
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I do it all the time.

Reinhard
jparchib

Post by jparchib »

Great, I will try it.

In many guides that I have read, it is stated that the radio should power up...
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

My 9x is about a year old. The iusbasp powers up the lcd but the speaker does not work.
The screen does go blank when reprogramming but comes back alive when programming is done.
Typically the power switch stays off and the rf module is installed. Not sure if these comditions make a difference.

I wouldnt worry about it. Maybe they changed the board somewhat.
If you can read the firmware I would think you could write to it, regardless of whether the lcd is powered up or not.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 3.3 volt regulator for the LCD is powered from the 5 volt regulator/programmer supply. I don't think it is a low dropout type, so if you voltage from the programmer is rather less than 5 volts, the LCD regulator won't supply enough voltage to the LCD for it to work.

Worth checking the 5 volts from the programmer when it is plugged into the radio, if you haven't already done so.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jparchib

Post by jparchib »

It worked! Thanks guys!

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”