Flashing trouble.....ugh

mambamax1

Flashing trouble.....ugh

Post by mambamax1 »

Ok, I have a 9x that I'm trying to flask the ER9X to. I've quadrupled checked my wiring, and have triple checked to make sure that my usbasp driver is recognized by the computer (had to download a driver). Problem is, it won't follow through with the flash. The radio powers up when connected and does the low voltage beep, but that's as far as I get.

here's a pic:

I have probably spent two hours researching how to solve my problem.....I'm at my wits end. :x

Please, help!

Greebo

Re: Flashing trouble.....ugh

Post by Greebo »

That error shows that avrdude isn't able to see a usbasp device.
Exactly which programmer are you using? Maybe provide a link to the one you bought?
mambamax1

Post by mambamax1 »

I'm using a crius usbasp v0.2 programmer. Can't seem to find a link of it, but I got it a few months back of off RCG.
mambamax1

Post by mambamax1 »

Greebo wrote:That error shows that avrdude isn't able to see a usbasp device.
Exactly which programmer are you using? Maybe provide a link to the one you bought?

So does this mean I have it wired right or do I need to re-do the driver instal?
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

May you post a photo of the connections ?

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I can use some help.
I'm working on a friends 9x and he has a betemcu.cn usbasp programmer from eBay. I think it bricked his 9x but that's another issue. My current one is I use the HK programmer and they work first time ever install so far. His has the same connector wiring but will not program my 9x. I read 4.9v on the vcc pin unloaded and 4.15v in circuit and connected to the same USB port. Mine will power the 9x and program/read it. His won't power my TX (4.15 v his, 5.0v Mine) or program it.
His has a regulator on it for 3.3 or 5v, mine doesn't that I can see.
So has anyone had experiance with this eBay betemcu.cn programmer to know what's going on? His ic is at 45 deg, mine is in line with the board edges.
I plan to use my HK and try to un brick it of I can but he'll still need a working programmer.
I'm sure I'll learn a lot from all this, with help of course.
Thanks

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Mamba, That error means the programmer can't connect to the board. You would get a different error if it couldn't access the usb programmer. As Romolo asked a picture of your connections would help if you can get one.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I think I have the same programmer (can't verify, because I put a shrink tube over it).
My unloaded voltage is 5.0v and loaded (attached to the tx) is 4.84 volt.

Reinhard
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

ReSt wrote:I think I have the same programmer (can't verify, because I put a shrink tube over it).
My unloaded voltage is 5.0v and loaded (attached to the tx) is 4.84 volt.

Reinhard
thanks for the values.
I have spares of HK usbasp so I'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying.
From all I can find on this programer I see it has the 3.3v option but I think it comes as a 5v Vcc. I can't find a schematic of it. For 5v it should just pass the USB voltage from computer on to the Vcc out so why is it so low and then drops more under load? I'll trace the 5 volts through it to see why it drops and my HK does not.
Another general question. Is there any way to test this device other than it not programming? I also am reading about reflashing it with a new or standard FW but it's confusing.

BTW My Ipod auto correct is great when it works but "when it works" sorry for all the typos I've just fixed.
ShowMaster
Last edited by ShowMaster on Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

I don't think there is a way to test a programmer without doing some kind of programming operation. You could try doing only reads though, that wouldn't change anything on what you connect it to.
As far as reprogramming the programmer. Try to give it a different name. 'cause yea it seems hard to think about using a programmer to program the programmer!
-Gohst
mambamax1

Post by mambamax1 »

Turns out it was the programmer. Got my hands on a different one and it flashed 1st time. :)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

mambamax1 wrote:Turns out it was the programmer. Got my hands on a different one and it flashed 1st time. :)
Please list again the one that's not working and where it comes from and the new one that does work and where it comes from.
Thank you

ShowMaster
mambamax1

Post by mambamax1 »

I was using a Crius usbasp v0.2 programmer. Not sure where you can get it (don't see it for sale anywhere) because I got it off of a forum.

The one that worked was the programmer from HK.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks, so far the HK has worked every time no fuss for me as well.

ShowMaster
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Programmer update! FWIW
A friends Bate version (EBay) programmer that's not wanting to program is now working. I noticed that it didn't like powering my TX from USB and would not read or program. I measured 4.15 volts at the VCC when the radio was connected, 4.95 when not. I put it aside and just got back to it. It seems that it has a SMD fuse and a SMD 0 ohm shunt in the USB to VCC 10 pin connector. I guess the fuse it what it says it is. The 0 ohm SMD is to put the 3.3v LDO regulator in or out of the VCC line. It seems this path is where I'm losing the almost 1 volt. I jumpered the USB5 v input to the 5V VCC output pin and the programmer is working 100% now. I'll go back later and see what's dropping the voltage in the path. So ... if your USP asp programmer won't program check to VCC to see it's 5 volts.
This is great news because my friend won't have to buy a new programmer. Now if I can only unbrick his M64 I'll be a happy person and so will he. One baby step at a time!
BTW I just got done replacing 7 bad switches on a new water damaged Turnigy TX for a club member so his TX would stop the switch error message Yes all 7 were trashed and other parts were rusted? No amount of spray would fix the original switches.
I've got to start charging more for my free work, I'm swamped!
ShowMaster
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Double the price (of your free work) :mrgreen:

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Showmaster, I would like to have you in my club.. :mrgreen:

Saying that, there's a friend from my club that is always complaining about everything.. specially about the 9x ;) (because I'm always making fun of his futaba also) but he is very helpfull as well.. always say no, but ends up helping everybody.. He happens to be the president of the club though :mrgreen:
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”