Identifying which pots for my new 6 pos switch

FlyByTheGrace

Identifying which pots for my new 6 pos switch

Post by FlyByTheGrace »

Hi guys, this is only a little embarrassing because I have had no problem in setting up the mixes that I have needed so far but I could really use some further tutelage and exercises to get to know ER a little better.
I have received and installed a 6 position switch from a well known vendor on Ebay that offers the item and 4 variable resistors that you install in place of POT # 2. Now of course I am trying to convert the original mix I had using the AIL and IDO,1,2 Switch to arrive at 6 flight modes for my APM 2.6 F.C.
I am trying to make a mix with the FRSKY, NoTemplates version of ER9X that I have burned on the MCU of my 9X. Would some kind soul tell me how to incorporate this for CH5 Switch to command the 6 Flight Mode - Arducopter 3.XX in Mission Planner.
On a side note they have recently added to their product line-up, 6 LED indicator to assure you of the switch position. I have it on the way naturally, it is an obvious next step but thoroughly useless if I cannot manage to figure out what the mix will be. ;)

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Identifying which pots for my new 6 pos switch

Post by MikeB »

I assume you used some custom switches to combine AIL and ID0-2 together to control your mixes. You need to do something similar with the 6-position switch. Your 6-position switch is "looking like a pot" to er9x. I suggest you set your pots so the output seen by er9x is:
-100%, -60%, -20%, +20%, +60% and +100%, use the DIAGANA display to set these.
Now set some custom switches:
S1: v>val P2 -80
S2: v<val P2 -40 AND S1
S3: v<val P2 0 AND S7
S4: v>val P2 0 AND S7
S5: v>val P2 40 AND S6
S6: v<val P2 +80
S7: |v|<val P2 40

Now use !S1, S2, S3, S4, S5 and !S6 to enable your required mixes.

If you can tell me what channel 5 needs to be set at for the 6 flight modes I may be ableto improve on this and/or specify the actual required mixes. (I don't know Arducopter requirements).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
FlyByTheGrace

Post by FlyByTheGrace »

Thanks MikeB,
I am not getting notification of replies and it makes for an awkward time line in posing questions, receiving and responding in kind. I do sincerely apologize.
Originally I used the AIL and ID0,1,2 toggle switches to get the 6 possible flight modes. This is what I am currently using.

CH5 -125 FULL ID0
R -39 FULL ID1
R -16 FULL ID2
R 10 FULL SW1
R 37 FULL SW2
R 100 FULL SW3

In Custom Switches I have:
AND AIL ID0
AND AIL ID1
AND AIL ID2
I am certain I have used another method to arrive at the same results, though I could not say what it was now. I suppose I will have to make it a rule of thumb to store any new workable mixes that I come by on epee :-)
My inability to converse freely about the variables in ER stem from the "out of site out of mind" thing. I come by a workable mix thru one means or another on YouTube or another forum and I quickly adopt it if it works for me. I am completely useless at making my own from scratch without help. I have never had the benefit of the Templates. Right from the beginning I used "ER9X Version FrSky/NOHT" so I don't even have the templates there for me to refer to as solid guides into making new and creative mixes. Most of my models are quad or hexa multirotors and have an AXN Floater Jet in the wings waiting for my bungee launch.
I get what I need to make my FC work and then plunge back into my DIY projects, PCB's only interrupted by maiden flights of new multirotors and then time at the bench fixing everything I have broken in the meantime , and there is little time for me to get a good feel for programming other than my specific needs for the Naze32, APM2.6 and Pixhawk. Naza M, and KK2.0 flight controllers.

Currently I am doing the maiden on my 810 Hex (kind of a FY 680 on steroids) You may be aware that the during maiden flight Arducopter 3.XX one must enable logging of IMU output to find vibrations,sets up the CH6 Option "In Flight" Roll And Pitch Gain adjustment and determine and set Throttle Mid
I didn't have any problem coming up with the needed line of the channel's mix info. I added the following opposite Ch6 in the mixer. FULL 100 ELE. I will simply use the ELE toggle sw. to enable infight gain tuning
I checked it and the switch is active and I have a working mix ( I hope) for the maiden flight.

As for setting up this Pot2 that is now a 6 Position Switch.....
Let me explain how the switch works. it is connected to 4 mini variable 10Kohm resistors. Full deflection to the Left get you the min and full throw to the Right gets you the other extreme, with the variable resistors requiring dialing in with a small screw driver to get the specific flight modes to happen at each of the switch's "Detentes" and corresponding with Mission Planner open and running Config/Hardware/Flight Modes.
So, now that you know what it consists of how would you proceed?

All the best Mike and hope you are getting the best out of the end of the season.

Chris

BTW I am aware that there is a new update for ER9X and I am running the FrSky version NOHT Should I go ahead with the update or must I cherry pick here?

Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Set the pots, using the DIAGANA screen, to the values I described in my earlier post, set the custom switches as I also described, then your mixes should be:

CH5 -125 FULL !S1
R -39 FULL S2
R -16 FULL S3
R 10 FULL S4
R 37 FULL S5
R 100 FULL !S6

You only need to update the firmware if you want any of the new features, see here: http://code.google.com/p/er9x/source/br ... ngelog.txt, for a list of the changes.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

He could also use the v~=Val in the custom switches? It would save a couple??

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “er9x model setup”