Snap Roll Function

Myckey

Snap Roll Function

Post by Myckey »

I'm thinking it could be good to have a snap roll initiated solely by the aileron stick, so say ailerons behave as normal up to 75% of stick travel then past that point rudder and elevator kick in, not sure if this should be gradual or like a switch or switch straightaway to say 25% elevator and 50% rudder at the 75% stick travel and then go to 100% on each surface (all three) at 100% of the stick.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences of doing this especially on a pattern plane?

Phil

Daedalus66

Snap Roll Function

Post by Daedalus66 »

Sounds like a risky way to set up controls. I have experimented with very high expo setting on the rudder of a seaplane as a way to have low rate for tracking on takeoff while retaining full throw for low speed taxiing. It worked well -- until a wind gust as I lifted off caused me to apply a major correction and the model snapped into the water inverted. I returned to my previous set up using dual rates for takeoff and taxiing.

I would suggest that any major change in control functioning require a positive switch action. It's just too much to expect that one can always resist going beyond 75% stick movement except when doing a snap roll!
gohsthb

Re: Snap Roll Function

Post by gohsthb »

It would be fine to have snap roll kick in with the aileron stick. But put the function on a switch so you can enable it when you are expecting it. So you would have normal function. Then flip the switch enabling your snap roll function. While that is enabled you can give full aileron stick to do a snap roll. Then disable the function when you don't expect to use it.
-Gohst

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

My point exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't know how openTX could do it but in ersky9x I would program a "1-shot" logical switch.
When flicking the trainer switch for example, it would turn the logical switch ON for say 3 seconds. After it would turn it OFF again. Then use this logical switch to activate the Snap Roll.
So, I would flick the trainer switch and I would have then 3 seconds to move the controls in order to roll the plane.. After the 3 seconds it would resume normal control mode automatically.
This is what I use to activate "Flip" on my little quads.
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “openTx model setup”