Need help with Nano QX

kb9yen

Need help with Nano QX

Post by kb9yen »

I just ordered a Taranis X9D and it should be here middle of next week. I downloaded the software and I'm trying to get a grip on the massive number of things you can do. I'm moving from a DX7s. I'll be using the OrangeRX DSMX module and need to figure out what settings I need to get it working with a Blade Nano QX.

I would like to have SH toggle stability/agility modes.
I also want to have a 3 way switch select between 3 different throttle curves.
I know how to set up the curves the way I want already but Im not sure how to set a switch to select different ones.

Actually setting up the curves is about all I know how to do so far.

Daedalus66

Need help with Nano QX

Post by Daedalus66 »

You may find the attached file helpful in understanding how to set up any of the Spektrum BNF models to operate with any of the open source radios, whether using ER9x or OpenTX firmware.

The basic idea is to set up the transmitter to emulate a DX5e, as virtually all the BNF models are designed to operate with that transmitter. The key points are:
  • Channel order must be TAER.
  • Spektrum transmitters use 1100 to 1900usec as the +/-100% range, whereas the open sources firmwares use 988 to 2012. So the limits need to be set to about 80% to get the same throw. This is very important with the ultramicro models as excess throw will damage the linear servos. (Note the dire warnings in the instructions about not exceeding 100% throw - in Spektrum terms). For Er9x and OpenTX, this means limits need to be at 80%. There may also be problems with the functions controlled by channels 5 and 6 if the throw is excessive.
  • The exception is throttle, which should have limits of -100, +80. This is equivalent to having the throttle stick and trim full down at the bottom end and ensures that the ESC will arm.
  • Reverse the aileron and rudder channels.
  • Set up channel 5 and 6 with switches. Specifically, the NanoQX needs channel 6 to be set to the momentary switch with outputs of -100, 100. Set limits to +/-80.
  • Set up DR at 100% and 75%. Add some expo if desired.
Make yourself a DX5e emulation, then just copy and rename it for each new BNF model. It also makes a very good starting point for customization or for other models.

More info in the attached sheet.
Attachments
DX5e Emulation 03 generic.pdf
(347.06 KiB) Downloaded 583 times
kb9yen

Re: Need help with Nano QX

Post by kb9yen »

Thanks! The radio is due here on Wednesday of next week and I'm excited. I looked around a lot for a radio that could do throttle curves with a quad in 'plane' mode and everything that wasn't OpenTX was ghastly expensive.

I'll look over the attached file and I'm reading through all the available documentation but the TX can do so much that it's overwhelming so trying to take baby steps and the help is enormously appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to “openTx model setup”