WARNING: Known problematic USBASP

Kilrah

WARNING: Known problematic USBASP

Post by Kilrah »

It seems some clever guy recently created http://www.usbasp.com to easily attract search results... But as pointed out by Thomas, the programmer he sells has series resistors added in series with the signal lines. It's probably for protection, but it happens to cause problems to flash a 9x.
The fix is in the link for those who have one, but the best for new users would be to just ignore that one and get a known working one.

http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?/ ... entry27092

Note that the same is probably sold elsewhere, so stay away from any that has a little 8-pin resistor pack in the corner!

Kilrah

Re: WARNING: Known problematic USBASP

Post by Kilrah »

For some reason I don't have permissions to pin a topic in this section, so can someone else do it? Thx ;)
dvogonen

Re: Sv: WARNING: Known problematic USBASP

Post by dvogonen »

That is strange. I own two exact copies of the USBASP programmer in the picture and I have never had any problems with them. Everything is identical, down to the date stamp, which has been painted on by hand...

Might the reason be that I use a very short programming cable (under 20 cm)?
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Kilrah wrote:For some reason I don't have permissions to pin a topic in this section, so can someone else do it? Thx ;)
Done!
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy,

there is a more simply way.

Most programmer have normaly 0 Ohm or 30 Ohm but some (cheap chinese) have 100 Ohm or 150 Ohm or 300 Ohm for protection (at Mosi and Miso) see examle picture of a USB shematic. 30 Ohm would be ok but 300Ohm is big bullshit.

And at the TH9x there are 200 Ohm to Ground if the switches ThrCut and AilDr are normaly ON (Mosi, Miso from Programmer)

Look at the picture part of TH9X shematic appended,
you have a resistor divider 100 Ohm (or 150 or300) to 200 Ohm at Mosi Miso, that will not work!

Solution:
before beginning of flashing switch ThrCut and AilDr to OFF (Menu (SCK) is always off)
and you have no resistor divider 100 to 200 and all will run well.

Helle

PS: Zwo other Problems of some simple (cheap chinese) USBISP Porgrammers
Speed of programming to fast -->reduce it
time betweeen Reset and Start of programming to short (because of 10uF or 47uF at reset, pin is not at low level)
good one take a NPN Transistor to take reset pin fast to low level

Helle
Attachments
USB ISP Programmer 004 Beispiel.jpg
Schaltplan Schalter 001.jpg
Schaltplan Schalter.jpg
TH9x und Open9x Handbuch001.pdf
(774.83 KiB) Downloaded 956 times
Last edited by Helle on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am, edited 8 times in total.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Helle, makes perfect sense. Those who had no problems probably have done the telemetry mod, so those resistors weren't in the way anymore!

Would be interesting to get Bertrand's input, because he also had one that he used successfully until he tried on his newly converted m128 radio.

Sent via mobile
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Hmm, the guy who has trouble on the French forum actually also had the problem with the back board connector removed, which means switch open...

Sent via mobile
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

This is the same usbasp that I have . There was another thread where one of the forum members posted a patch for the firmware that goes on the usbasp. Usually when you buy these they have a closed source chinese autospeed sensing version of the software that gives you complaints about ' cant set SCK speed' or something along that line.

Another remedy which is what worked for me was to remove a cap that was on the reset line I think. I probably should just look up the other thread. Alright .
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1363&p=29551#p19315
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1308&start=30#p19090
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=705

I like these little usbasp's. Heck you cant buy the parts for as cheap as you can buy one. I'm playing with one now for a little project I'm working on. This guy even put a usb loader on one so that he can load other firmware upon it without another programer. low budget arduino like.
http://jethomson.wordpress.com/2011/08/ ... rogrammer/
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

dvogonen wrote:That is strange. I own two exact copies of the USBASP programmer in the picture and I have never had any problems with them. Everything is identical, down to the date stamp, which has been painted on by hand..
Same here and I have never had any problems at all with it. I have reprogrammed it as per this thread to get rid of the SCK error. --> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1363

I have used it in anger to do the 'first birthday' (fuse setting on a new m128) without any difficulty.

So I do wonder why this particular programmer seems to have created a problem for some.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Maybe the resistor value isn't the same on all of them?

Sent via mobile
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Resistor pack R8 is marked as 101 which is 100 Ohms.

To add a little more. This programmer has now been used a number of times on two transmitters which are now equiped with m128's. It also worked okay when they were fitted with the original m64 chips.
thomas9x

Post by thomas9x »

Since this topic is related to the discussion in my rc-cam blog I think it will help if add some more details to what I reported. Here's some behind-the-scenes details:

Code: Select all

Might the reason be that I use a very short programming cable (under 20 cm)?
If you look closely at the photo (see link in first post) you will see that my USBASP<->CPU cable was under 7cm. That's a very short cable. :)

So I do wonder why this particular programmer seems to have created a problem for some.
Most likely this is a situation where the resistor pack makes the programming signals marginal. So not everyone will experience it. But beware, even if it works Ok now, it may bite you one day.

Solution:
before beginning of flashing switch ThrCut and AilDr to OFF (Menu (SCK) is always off)
and you have no resistor divider 100 to 200 and all will run well.
That is one of the things I tried and it did NOT help.

Helle, makes perfect sense. Those who had no problems probably have done the telemetry mod, so those resistors weren't in the way anymore! 
With the MOSI and MISO CPU resistors removed {due to the two telemetry mod} this would increase success. But RST and SCK would still be susceptible to the evil USBASP resistors.

Hmm, the guy who has trouble on the French forum actually also had the problem with the back board connector removed, which means switch open... 
That was my last thing to try before removing the USBASP resistors. No success with the cables unplugged from the motherboard.

Another remedy which is what worked for me was to remove a cap that was on the reset line I think. I probably should just look up the other thread. Alright .
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1363&p=29551#p19315
I suspect that this would have also been solved by removing the USBASP resistor on the RST signal.

I like these little usbasp's. Heck you cant buy the parts for as cheap as you can buy one. 
Yes indeed. I paid under $4 USD, delivered from China to my door. It was very nice -- machined soldered, not hand soldered like some other USBASP's I have seen.

Mine were 220 ohms, which obviously was not helping me at all. My opinion is that the ideal resistor choice would be in the neighborhood of 0 ohms. :)

To add a little more. This programmer has now been used a number of times on two transmitters which are now equiped with m128's. It also worked okay when they were fitted with the original m64 chips.
I know you know this, but marginal signals are unpredictable. They are all about how lucky you are, much like the famous tag line in Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry movie.

To summarize the issue: If a 9X has problems with programming then one of the items on checklist is to confirm that the USBASP does not have protection resistors on the four programming signals. If they are there then replace with jumper wires.

- Thomas
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

thomas9x wrote:

Mine were 220 ohms
OK, so there DOES seem to be different values, could well explain the success or failure of the apparently identical units!
B12

Post by B12 »

I have this same programmer which I purchaced from ebay. No issues whatsoever so far with two 9x's.
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

Since my programmers both work I checked the resistor values. They are 100 Ohms.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Mine is 100 ohms also.

For the little project I'm working on I wanted to compare the circuit of this betemcu.cn usbasp to the schematic posted at http://www.fischl.de/usbasp . The conformal coating is so thick on these I had to scrape it off to follow the lands. IIRC the value of the resistance in series with the usb line is different also. The D+ usb line is connected to the same labelled pin as it uses the ICP. The D- line uses a different labeled pin. The status led's use the same labeled pin. There is a fuse labeled '5' on the usb +5vdc. I'm guessing that would have to be removed along with the '0'' ohm resistor to program a 3.3vdc device. I'm curious that the voltage of the 2 zener diodes is ?

Maybe these resistors in series are for when the mcu is running at 3.3vdc, but being programmed by a 5vdc source. ? My schematic I scrawled on a piece of paper is at home.

Also thanks for mentioning removing the cap probably would have worked also. I wish I woulda took that advise sooner, but instead toyed around with it for quite awhile. Did learn some stuff though.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

My 2 cents.
I've only used HK USBasp and did pay a little more than eBay prices but everyone has worked perfectly except for the SCK error message I ignore.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Please add a location to your profile. Thank You
B12

Post by B12 »

After hard-wiring the USBASP programming dongle to the 9x CPU I tried to flash it with Open9x software. The programming repeatedly failed. Each time I tried, AVRDude reported a problem with the CPU's ID code.

I had the CPU ID error also but it was solved by letting the "port" box empty on eePe.
tomtechy

Post by tomtechy »

I have that one also It work fine till I tried to update the firmware. I think I erased the Eprom which now reads all FF's I am waiting on a new programer to read the software and re-flash it. I think I have to change the fuses for the external clock to program. Advise if anyone has these flash files have tried some from the web with no sucess.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Not sure if you are saying your usbasp is not working or your 9x ?
I dont think usbasp uses the eeprom. It does use the flash.
If you can read the eeprom the fuses cant be completely wrong.
And to be sure, you have a betemcu.cn usbasp programmer.
They can be temporarily bricked if you use the makefile from usbasp to flash the firmware.
I have never had a betemcu.cn usbasp that couldnt be revived by reflashing. Have seen one crystal go out.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Another R8 victim here; same S51 USBasp, mine were also 220Ω. :P

I don't know how to get hold of Mbanzi who put up the "9x Full Mod" page here on the Wiki: http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... on_your_9x

But could we please pass on to him/her that this issue is becoming VERY prevalent and to add a note about it?

Also, more importantly... if you are doing a "Full mod" including the Telemetry Mod as s/he describes, if you do it BEFORE flashing to the TX, when you connect to the TX it will give a constant "Switch Error!" alarm. I wasted several hours trying to find out what I had shorted when I did my mod; tracking out every switch... then I finally figured out that the OEM firmware expects a "Closed" circuit on each switch during POST, and will set that alarm BECAUSE we've cut the traces to pin 41 & 42.

I was trying to figure out what I'd done wrong, thinking the cause of the "Switch Error!" was also the cause of my "Invalid ID" error on the programmer... I would have been pulling my hair out if I had any!

I mean, yeah... noob mistake. But really; I'm only a noob with THIS project. I have an Electronics Engineering degree and over 20 years experience as a field tech. A simple "Oh, BTW..." would have saved SO much arseache. LOL

mnem
"We can rebuild him... we can make him better than before..."
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Welcome to the forum. I glanced at the section of the wiki you mentioned, how do you feel it should be edited. He mentions a 45 degree angle unit in the requirements but shows a oic of a HK? Unit. Well the one in the pic doesnt have the mcu @ 45 degrees. I will follow up on getting it edited if the original author doesnt pick up.

Yes this is becoming a large issue at exactly the wrong time :). The first betemcu.cn units I purchased last spring utilized 100 ohm. Lately mostly 220. I've communicated that 220 does not work in our application to the supplier and he indicated that future shipments would revert to 100 ohm. This hasnt occurred yet nor do I know if it will affect all future shipments or just mine.

If you want a couple 100ohm resistor packs drop me a PM with your address and I'll send them out. I got 100 of em from ebay
angad

Post by angad »

I am glad i found this post. I also have the usbasp programmer with the 220 ohm network resistor and have had no luck flashing my 9x. In fact after repeated attempts , my tx won't even power up now :( .
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

angad wrote:I am glad i found this post. I also have the usbasp programmer with the 220 ohm network resistor and have had no luck flashing my 9x. In fact after repeated attempts , my tx won't even power up now :( .
This is as mentioned almost becoming a daily post by someone.
Here are some of my thoughts and discoveries I've dealt with to date.

(1)The HK programmer uses no limiting resistor pack in its programming line and it uses a FW that has a locked SCK ( synchronized clock). This combination seems to program well every time with long cables and the mcu64 reset cap on the 9x/9xr board still installed. To date and in use on 8ea 9x conversions and 1ea 9xr, it's worked 100% every time.
The negatives are,
Does give a SCK error message in eepe and C9x due to the locked frequency but in no way is an issue. It's just a bother to see the error message.
Next is cost and delivery time from HK.
It costs $5 plus shipping and lost time editing for it. That could be $10 and many weeks of waiting, worse if out of stock.

(2)Next comes the eBay programmer.
$3 and maybe free shipping is the good news.
Bad news is the firmware can be any version but usually doesn't give a SCK error message.
Also bad is that different batches and sources can have different series resistor pack values ranging from 100 ohms to 220 ohms or ?
The bad thing here is if your programmer has the 220 ohm resistors instead of 100 ohms, and you don't have a clue about their value, it seems you can brick or mess up your mcu64.
So the $3 programmer trashes a $50 dollar tx board not counting shipping, or $75 with shipping.
All the above options are pretty much without and customer support for the actual programmer, and NONE for the trashed/bricked 9x/9xr board.

(3)Another choice is Randy's programmer. Still an eBay programmer but they are flashed with a FW that doesn't give a SCK error message, and he's making sure the series resistor packs are 100 ohms. Proven to not damage the mcu64 when programming.
So the pluses here,
Good customer support. He's on the forum and is constantly working to make the product better. He can be contacted and returns his emails ASAP or posts answers here for us all to read.
Fast delevery in the USA.

Down side,
His programmer costs a few $ more and to some that's not acceptable. Paying less to brick a $50-75 tx is still popular by the daily posts.
Finally, due to the series 100 ohm resistor pack you may have to remove the reset cap on the mcu64 reset line in your tx. If not an option for you, you may have to disconnect and reconnect the USB input to the programmer if you do multiple reads or writes to your tx board due to the reset cap still connected.

My choices that I'm currently using are (1) and (3). Choice (2) is my least favorite and have trashed many TXs to date from the posts I've read. In fact I've repaired one that required a new m64 as the only fix for someone using a (2) programmer choice.

There is a 4th choice but may not be supported by Randy.
If you leave the reset cap on you 9x or your 9xr has it installed (some do, some don't it seems?) and you want to leave it there but still not deal with the SCK error message,
Buy Randy's and remove the 100 ohm pack and replace it with jumper wires. This will make it like the HK programmer but without the SCK error message. In the end the cost is closer to $10 but sometimes cheap can be really expensive if you pay eBay $3 to brick you tx.
FYI,
I buy all my programmers, no biased opinion due to free samples!
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Had been in email communication with someone who elsewhere had bought the betemcu.cn programmer with the 220 resistor network. I was gonna send him a couple 100 ohm resistor networks because I replace every 220 with 100, until the factory gets back on track, but he got impatient and solder in the bare wires. He successfully revived his 9x by reseting his fuses using Extreme Burner.

He did not give me the exact values he used for fuses but eepe uses this command to 'reset fuses to factory default'

avrdude -c usbasp -p m64 -p m8 -u -U lfuse:w:0x0E:m -U hfuse:w:0x89:m -U efuse:w:0xFF:m
I've copied parts of his messages in hopes it will help someone else. Be advised I have never used this procedure , just relaying it as it was outlined to me

---- latest message ----
Success!!!!!!... I reset the fuse bits using eXtreme burner to their default values and the radio came back to life!

--- earlier message ---
Thanks you for all help and support, I appreciate it. I tried again and managed to put the jumpers in place (I am a very impatient person and just could not wait :P). The programmer works great but my 9x won't power up now. While trying to flash the chip yesterday with the 220 ohm resistor in place I guess I screwed up the chip and now when I power up the screen is blank :(. I checked all the voltage regulators and they all seem to be working fine. I don't know what I am missing here. Anyways thanks once again for your generosity :)
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

rperkins wrote:Welcome to the forum. I glanced at the section of the wiki you mentioned, how do you feel it should be edited. He mentions a 45 degree angle unit in the requirements but shows a oic of a HK? Unit. Well the one in the pic doesnt have the mcu @ 45 degrees. I will follow up on getting it edited if the original author doesnt pick up.

Yes this is becoming a large issue at exactly the wrong time :). The first betemcu.cn units I purchased last spring utilized 100 ohm. Lately mostly 220. I've communicated that 220 does not work in our application to the supplier and he indicated that future shipments would revert to 100 ohm. This hasn't occurred yet nor do I know if it will affect all future shipments or just mine.

If you want a couple 100ohm resistor packs drop me a PM with your address and I'll send them out. I got 100 of em from ebay
Sorry for not following up on this nearly as quickly as you did... I can only claim temporary stupidity. :oops:

My betemcu.cn S51 USBasp unit has the 45° chip, but it also has the R8 resistor pack clearly visible in the product photo so that's not a good way to tell any more. It appears they're highlighting the 100Ω resistor pack for our benefit, though... see the attached photo.

Mostly, I think it would be a good idea to update the wiki entry with something like the following:

1) When doing a "Full Mod" including the Telemetry Mod as described, keep in mind that if you do the Telemetry Mod on a stock 9x TX BEFORE flashing it, when you connect to the TX (or even power it up) it will give a constant "Switch Error!" alarm. DON'T PANIC! The OEM firmware expects a "Closed" circuit on each switch during POST, and will set that alarm BECAUSE we've cut the traces to pin 41 & 42. The er9x Telemetry Mod version firmware resolves this issue.

2) If using one of the popular USBasp programmers found on eBay and elsewhere on the internet, be aware of this issue: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2490 (link back here or wherever you feel the best current info on this issue is) Some of these generic USBasp programmers have a series resistor pack of incorrect value inline with the outputs, and it can cause programming failure or brickage even on a correctly modded TX.

I've successfully modded my S51 USBasp with microwire jumpers as several others have done. I am able to use eePe and Companio9x at will using the included 1m programming cable, which I've hacked a 6-pin connector to the end of as well. I appreciate the offer of the resistor pack; I MAY mod mine with some 30Ω ones robbed from an old router or somesuch at a later time. I know it's probably not the safest setup; but I have a wife & kids & I actually LIKE to spend time with 'em. :lol:

Thanks,

mnem
They make 'em. Somebody's gotta use 'em.
Attachments
S51 USBasp.jpg
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

I cant plug the chinese text into a translator because it is a graphic. I have wondered what they are saying there. All betemcu.cn programmers that I seen have a r8 resistor network. It's the value that makes a difference.

I clicked on mbanzi's username on the wiki entry and it looks like he has been on the site recently. How about you PM him and point him to this post and give him a chance to update his work as he sees fit. If he doesnt respond post back here or PM me and I'll update it . Have you tried to use your username and password on the wiki section of this site ;)

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=948

I did update this section of the wiki to point to this thread
http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Programmer
JustinTime

Post by JustinTime »

I had posted in another thread about my recent experience with these programmers. I had bought one and it has no resistor array at all. It's not from betemcu.cn. It's from Lcsoft Studio. Another one I had just bought had a picture on ebay showing the array to be 100ohm. When I got it the array turned out to be 220ohm. I had flashed successfully both programmers with the main.hex from Romolo but the Lcsoft Studio didn't have it's light come on after the flashing. The ones from betemcu.cn did. When I unplaged the Lcsoft Studio from the programmer and plugged it directly the light did come on.

I didn't flash my radio yet. I'll do it after I changed the chip to 128.
mbanzi

Post by mbanzi »

rperkins wrote:I clicked on mbanzi's username on the wiki entry and it looks like he has been on the site recently. How about you PM him and point him to this post and give him a chance to update his work as he sees fit. If he doesnt respond post back here or PM me and I'll update it . Have you tried to use your username and password on the wiki section of this site ;)
I haven't been following this thread, but I am on the forums frequently ;) Both my transmitters I have (older Turnigy & newish FlySky) have the 47uF cap and use unmodified betemcu programmers. I forget what the resistor pack values were, I did check at some point, but I've had no problems programming multiple times. (I think 220)

I assume you're referring to the programmer section of the Wiki I did (http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Programmer). Just noticed that the pictures show a programmer I used at first which did not in fact work, I should update that too. What else do I need to add change in there?
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Thanks for looking in.

A couple posts back mnementh discusses the problems he had going straight from the default firmware to the telementry mod. He also typed up what he would like included.

What i noticed about your wiki section is you mention using a programmer with the mcu @ 45 degree angle but show a picture of something different. I think mnementh issue was relocating his inputs before flashing from the default firmware and he got caught in 'switch error hell'

Good to know that the older 9x had the 47uf cap.

I would be willing to bet your older betemcu.cn programmers have 100 ohm resistors.

You may not have had issues because of the telementry mod. I'm not well versed on it but i believe you there are some changes done to the inputs that are also utilized for programming. Removing the small .01 bypass caps comes to mind but i'm not sure .

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”