MX-USBISP-V3.00, will it work?

jbeebo

MX-USBISP-V3.00, will it work?

Post by jbeebo »

Found this programmer on fleebay. Interested because it claims no drivers needed for Win7_64bit - must have USB handshake built into onboard Atmega8 firmware?

Anyone tried it, what settings are recommended in eepe or companion9x?

TIA!

Romolo
9x Developer

Re: MX-USBISP-V3.00, will it work?

Post by Romolo »

Very difficult to say if it will work...
Both eepe and companion9x relay on avrdude so if it's supported by avrdude it will work.

Anyway circuitry doesn't seem so much different from usbasp, so in worst case maybe can be updated as usbasp.
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

on a gamble (albeit a low cost/risk one), I purchased said device and now have it in hand.

It does not work with AVRDUDE, but I think I know why. Problem is I don't know how to fix it, maybe someone has a suggestion?

Here's my analysis...
1/ AVRDUDE is looking for an USBASP with a specific hardware ID (vid=0x16c0, pdi=0x5dc). Snapshot from Companion9x ver1.07 rev1532

Code: Select all

=================================================================================
Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files (x86)/companion9x/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m64 -U eeprom:r:C:/Users/CAJTAR/AppData/Local/Temp/temp.hex:i
=================================================================================
avrdude.exe: error: could not find USB device "USBasp" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1
But the USBISP I have is mounted with different hardware ID. First a snapshot of the Device Manager. I'm running Win7HP64bit with all latest updates.
USBISP Device Manager.png
The device mounts in 2 places, as an HID-compliant device and as a USB Input Device. In the list below I put an asterix (a "*") in front of the new additions when the USBISP is plugged in. The vendor claims no drivers were needed, and indeed it automatically installed drivers and then mounted as shown below.

Bluetooth AVRCP
HID-compliant device. Logitech.  HID\VID_046D&PID_C52B&REV_1201&MI_02&Qid_2011&WI_02&Col03
HID-compliant device. (standard system devices). HID\VID_046D&PID_C52B&REV_1201&MI_01&Col04
HID-compliant device. (standard system devices). HID\VID_046D&PID_C52B&REV_1201&MI_02&Col02
*HID-compliant device. (standard system devices). HID\VID_03EB&PID_C8B4&REV_0100
						  HID\VID_03EB&PID_C8B4
						  HID_DEVICE_UP:FF00_U:0001
						  HID_DEVICE
HID-compliant device. (standard system devices). HID\VID_046D&PID_C52B&REV_1201&MI_01&Col03
HID-compliant device. (standard system devices). HID\VID_046D&PID_C52B&REV_1201&MI_02&Col01
Logitech HID
Logitech HID
Logitech HID
Logitech HID
USB Input Device. (standard system devices). USB\VID_046D&PID_C52B&REV_1201&MI_01
*USB Input Device. (Standard system devices). USB\VID_03EB&PID_C8B4&REV_0100
					      USB\VID_03EB&PID_C8B4
USB Input Device (Logitech Download Assistant)
As clearly shown above, my USBISP vid=0x03EB & pid=0xc8b4. They do not match the AVRDUDE expectations, thus it can't find the device.

Anyone know how to fix this?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Does it appear in the "Ports" category too, with a COM port number by any chance?
A search about "usbisp" seems to show a couple of STK500-compatible programmers... If it's the case, you'd want to choose stk500 or stk500v2 in the avrdude settings and the COM port you found.
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

Negative. Does not show up in "Ports" category or anywhere else I can find.
Is there a way to change the vid/pid that AVRDUDE is searching for? If I can get AVRDUDE to find it, maybe it will work...

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Reading the spec. for this device I note:
support sofware: AVR_FIGHTER . Progisp1.72

I don't think AVRDUDE supports this. The USBASP has its own driver, that AVRDUDE finds. This device is appearing as a HID device, to use inbuilt drivers, but therefore needs the programming software (AVRDUDE etc.) to know how to talk to the HID driver for it.

Mike.

Edit: Just done some web trawling. You might try protocol stk500v2 and port avrdoper. This port seems to be a HID port.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

Thx Mike, I'll try that when I return home.

I looked into the avrdude.conf file and could not find references to the port hardware ID's that AVRDUDE is searching for. I assume then the interface criteria for each different programmer must be embedded in the avrdude.exe file, or in one of the associated .dll files. To dig into those files is well beyond my skill level.

I bought this programmer because I thought I could skirt the unsigned driver issue by using a device with a USB-handshake and inbuilt drivers. Perhaps I made a mountain out of a mole hill regarding driver issue....

Thinking ahead - I may need to cut my losses on this programmer and invest in a different one. Question is which one (from ebay, my preferred source)? There are many many different versions available (with mixed success) and despite my best efforts I cannot find a good description of how to discern which will work with Win7HP64bit & USB interface & AVRDUDE & 9X's Atmega64 and which will not. Is there a list of features to look for or a picture encylopedia of various programmers known to work?
e.g. micro 45deg vs. straight? "big" vs. "small" micro? 0/1/2 jumpers?

Scanning the forums I see these different programmers mentioned frequently:
1/ mysmartUSB. 16€ + shipping
2/ HobbyKing. $5 + shipping.

<thinking out loud> perhaps I should stop bucking the trend and just buy the HK one... :? ...though it might be fun to try and "fix" this one - maybe I like self torture!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jbeebo wrote:I looked into the avrdude.conf file and could not find references to the port hardware ID's that AVRDUDE is searching for.
This sounds like just a waste of time - even if you could change the VID/PID avrdude is looking for when set to USBASP, it simply wouldn't work because your programmer isn't actually an usbasp, and certainly doesn't use the same protocol.

When set to usbasp avrdude will try to communicate with the usbasp drivers - you won't have them.

I think you just have to use your programmer with the programs the seller points to.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Using the HID drivers is a useful way of avoiding writing a windows driver. Some time ago I programmed a PIC micro to talk USB/HID for this reason. I used a PIC as it was in a DIL package and had hardware USB. I would have used an AVR, but all the devices with USB hardware are surface mount.
Maybe someone needs to write some new code for the USBASP hardware to talk HID.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

Thanks Kilrah/Mike, clearly I'm in over my head here.

Allow me to confirm/rephrase; this device has the correct physical, network and application layers on the output (side connected to ATmega64), but on the input (side connected to PC thru USB) the physical and network layers are right (because it does handshake with the PC via USB protocol), but application layer is totally different than USBASP that AVRDUDE uses. Thus, to get this device to work I'd need some software interface that can take hex file or eepe file data, and translate/package that data into a format the device can recognize. The device will then strip the data content from the PC messages, repackage it and pass it on to the ATmega64 - the device is like a transceiver.
[tab=30]Do I understand correctly?

So my choices seem to be:
1/ use the AVRfighter_progisp1.72 program the seller points to - but I have no idea how to do this. I think it will be a very manual process, and can't use companion9x, unless it is reconfigured to interface to AVRfighter?
2/ create a new driver so the device will recognize USBASP data sent from AVRDUDE? Then I can use companion9x
3/ get a new USBASP compatible programmer, and use companion9x like the rest of the (much smarter than I) 9x domain
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

1) You could do it, it's only a matter of opening/saving files with C9X, and actually transferring them with AVRfighter. Just a bit tedious indeed.
2) Good luck!
3) $5 and works out of the box... by far the easiest.
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

As I suspected, thanks for confirming. I think I will proceed w/ #3 - a recommendation from ebay would be highly appreciated.

One last option/thought: I understand the programmer's onboard Atmel micro could be reprogrammed with another USBASP device (if fuses aren't locked etc). So if I get another functional USBASP, I can change this USBISP into a functional (backup) USBASP?

Wish the ebay listing for this device was accurate. It does say USBASP in the description...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Don't forget to try:
protocol stk500v2 and port avrdoper.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

@ MikeB, definitely! As soon as I get home I'll provide an update on the results.
mbanzi

Post by mbanzi »

There will likely be many, but I've had the best luck with the programmer that has the CPU chip turned 45 degrees and has www.betemcu.cn printed on it:

http://r.ebay.com/ewHXBn and many more on eBay from China

http://r.ebay.com/uulFLM for 3 times the price from a US supplier

Here is a link to the (Chinese) product website:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z ... 7718224418
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

Tried stk500v2 / avrdoper - no good:

Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files (x86)/companion9x/avrdude.exe -c stk500v2 -p m64 -P avrdoper -U eeprom:r:C:/Users/CAJTAR/AppData/Local/Temp/temp.hex:i
avrdude.exe: avrdoper_open(): Device not found.

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1
Tried all the other stk500v2 options too. Same thing.
I don't have my 9x here connected to the USBISP - long story - this shouldn't cause avrdude to not find the device, should it?
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

@ mbanzi, thanks for recommendation and links; can't beat $3.42 to get me out of this pickle.

It's curious the listing says supports AVRDUDE 5.2 onwards. My C9X is rev1.07 ver1532 and it's using avrdude ver5.1.
[tab=20]Will it work OK? Should I download latest avrdude ver5.11 and place it in the C9X directory?
[tab=20]Do I need the do the libusb driver install (I only have access to 64bit windohs)?

Last question, is there any salvaging the device I have in hand now; can I reflash this programmer with the new programmer and if so, how?

TIA!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jbeebo wrote:Last question, is there any salvaging the device I have in hand now; can I reflash this programmer with the new programmer and if so, how?
No idea, you'd have to recreate the schematic of your programmer to see if it's identical to an USBASP. If yes, then you could certainly flash it with the usbasp firmware indeed.
Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy,

I also bought this one (I have div others also)

and here its the
Progrmm and driver
Manual
some Pictures

works itself,standalone
works nice
not to include with AVRdude, or maybe look at latest AVRdude 5.11.1 ??

And here the link for the Software PROPISP1.72 http://www.1diycentre.com/download.htm

helle
Attachments
cp210xdriver.zip
(235.65 KiB) Downloaded 2682 times
Atmel_S51AVR_Programmer_USERguide.pdf
(1023.37 KiB) Downloaded 82695 times
ProgISP172 Bild.jpg
USB ISP Programmer.jpg
USB ISP Programmer.jpg (20.66 KiB) Viewed 58573 times
ProgISP1.72.zip
(1 MiB) Downloaded 4753 times
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

@Helle,
Thanks the exact one I have, the pictures I attached show it without the aluminum sleeve. Have you figured out how to use ProgISP1.72 with Companion9X?
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

just a quick update and thanks to the team here. I purchased 2 of the www.betemcu.cn USBASP dongles as suggested by mbanzi, did the solder work and boom up and running.

While modifying one of the dongles for a remote USB-mini port, I somehow managed to fry a part of it (ESD maybe?) and could not get that one working so I was very happy I ordered 2 of them. I still want to do the remote USB-mini idea so I ordered 2 more so will have backups in case round2 of dongle mods goes awry. I plan to keep the dongle inside the Tx case because I'm not a big fan of leaving micro pins exposed to the outside world (e.g. ESD!!!). I'd rather replace a failed dongle than try to R&R the ATmega64 or pay for a new board/radio.

Thanks all for your help. I'm a happy Open9x camper!
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

the continuing saga of programmers. Turns out the broken dongle was not broken afterall. I have 4 of these betemcu parts now and all 4 are different! There are variations in resistor values and micro type. In particular interest is the series resistor 4-pack between the micro and MOSI, MISO, RST, SCK output pins. The one that works has a 101 (100 ohm) pack and the 3 that don't work have 221 (220 ohm) pack. From what I've read in other forums, the fix is to replace these resistors with a short circuit, or if some protection is still desired, with < 100 ohms resistors. I'm starting a new thread about these betemcu programmers now to document the variations and seek solutions. I'll update this thread with the link after the other thread is created.

[EDIT] here's the link to the new thread about these betemcu.cn dongles. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2571
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

I have two of the units that the OP has. Apart from the sck error they both worked out of the box. MY OS is Linux Ubuntu 12.04.1. AVRDUDE is 5.11.1-1 Companion Version 1.13 Rev 1600

I did reprogram both of them as described in the link given below without any problems at all. I have no idea if they will work with Win 7 with the new firmware.

----> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1363
uwezi

Post by uwezi »

The hardware design is slightly different from the USBasp since both USB datalines are connected to pins on PORTD of the ATmega8. However, a small change in the source code of the USBasp firmware makes it compatible and then it can be used with avrdude like any other USBasp clone:
http://www.sciencetronics.com/greenphotons/?p=938

Uwe.
crisantovilla

Post by crisantovilla »

Hi there,
Its almost 2 years this thread have been updated, due to some curiosity I have flashed my 9xr with the mentioned USBISP using PROGISP. Then my 9xr was dead after the flash. I have looked everywhere how to fix the problem and after 4 days of researching I have realized that I have changed the fuse during the first flash, I remembered I didn’t untick “Program Fuse” box. I have copied the default fuse values from eePe and wool a it came back to life. I used the same USBISP and PROGISP. Now I can flashed my 9xr anytime with different hex files from companionTX and eePe. regards, cris
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

A friend of mine gave me his MX-USBISP-V3.02 dated 2014-10-08. The device is recognized as a HID in Windows, but is not supported by the avrdude.

The back side of the programmer looks like this:

I thought I would just flash the good old USBasp firmware on it - but so far I couldn't! I found a couple of pages with some good information about this programmer. One describes how to modify the hardware (by removing jumpers) and then use it with the stock USBasp firmware. The other one suggests to use modified firmware so that there are no hardware changes needed.

Both pages say it just requires a jumper on the Reset line in order for the new firmware to be flashed - and that's where I have an issue! I have put a jumper as described, and the LED on the device flashes when I try to read or burn it via avrdude - meaning that the Reset actually works. But whatever I do - I always get the famous 'Target doesn't answer' error. I tried to slow my main programmer down (tried both -B10 and -B100 options), and even the -F - still no luck:

avrdude: set SCK frequency to 8000 Hz
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA8 is 1E 93 07

I read in the comments on either of the two pages I linked to above that some people had issues with version 3.02 of this programmer. But some also reported they could reflash it just fine...

Is there anything else I could try in order to fix the programmer? The Atmega itself is not dead - it is detected and recognized in Windows. Just need to find a way to change the firmware...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I'm surprised you didn't kill it by using the -F option. Never, ever use that.
Check connections are correct and that you selected the correct chip. Also does your other programmer power the one you're trying to flash?
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

jhsa wrote:I'm surprised you didn't kill it by using the -F option. Never, ever use that.
Well, I know the '-F' can do nasty things, but I used it because nothing else worked.
Check connections are correct and that you selected the correct chip.
Connection is a regular flat 10-pin cable that comes with a programmer (I tried two different cables, just in case...). I think I don't need to cross MOSI and MISO lines, right?
If a wrong chip is selected, there shall be an error related to the chip signature mismatch. In my case, there is just no response from Atmega at all...
Also does your other programmer power the one you're trying to flash?
Yes. The power goes through - the LED on the target programmer lights up. That LED also momentarily switches off when avrdude tries to access the chip - which means the RESET signal goes through, too. But that's just it - avrdude doesn't get anything back from the chip...
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

This doesnt solve your problem as more than likely your fuses have been mangled on your hardware. Just wanted to clarify that there was a pretty good change this device would have worked with avrdude with the original firmware.
andrewju wrote:A friend of mine gave me his MX-USBISP-V3.02 dated 2014-10-08. The device is recognized as a HID in Windows, but is not supported by the avrdude.
avrdude does support the HID device, the hardware is called avr-doper. It emulates stk500 (-c stk500v2) and the port option (-P avrdoper) is set to 'avrdoper'. The advantage is no drivers are needed for windows. The disadvantage is that avrdoper is several times slower than usbasp

http://www.nongnu.org/avrdude/user-manu ... ude_4.html

For the USB programmer "AVR-Doper" running in HID mode, the port must be specified as avrdoper. Libusb support is required on Unix but not on Windows. For more information about AVR-Doper see http://www.obdev.at/avrusb/avrdoper.html.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

MikeB wrote:Don't forget to try:
protocol stk500v2 and port avrdoper.

Mike.
Looks like Mike had already mentioned this. Man this is another old resurrected thread :)

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”